How to print by IP Address from Windows XP
Footprints Public Solution # 70877 Date: 5/30/12
Instructions for how to print by ip address on a Windows XP computer:
- Print out a self-test / configuration page from the printer. Follow the instructions for your printer.
- Make a note of the IP address of the network printer on the printed configuration.
- On the client PC, go to Start, Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, and Add a printer.
- The Add Printer Wizard window will appear. Click Next.
- On the next Local or Network Printer select Local Printer Attached to This Computer and make sure that Automatically Detect and Install Plug and Play Printer is NOT checked. Click Next.
- On the Select a Printer Port screen, click on Create a New Port and for the Type of Port choose Standard TCP/IP Port from the pull down menu. Click Next.
- A new window Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard will appear. Click Next.
- On the Add Port window, there will be two text boxes. Input the noted IP address for the printer into the Printer Name or IP Address text box. Do not change the Port Name text box manually; it is done automatically. Click Next.
- On the next screen, click Finish.
- This will bring you back to the Add Printer Wizard. Select the printer Manufacturer and Model. Reference your printer configuration page to find the correct Manufacturer and Model. Click Next.
- If the Use Existing Driver window prompts: Do you want to keep the existing driver or use the new one? Select Keep Existing Driver and click Next.
- On the Name Your Printers window input the name you want to call this newly installed printer in the text box under the Printer Name. Set: Do you want to use this printer as the default printer? to Yes. Click Next.
- We do not want to share this printer. In the window Printer Sharing select Do Not Share This Printer. Click Next.
- As a final step, we just print the Test Page. Click Next.
- If the test page printed, the installation was done successfully and click Finish on the last window.
- The newly installed printer is set as the default printer and you can also print to it by referencing the name used in step 12.
For further help, please email Helpdesk AT Oakland DOT edu, visit us at 202 Kresge Library or call (248)370-4357 Monday-Friday, 8 am - 5 pm.