Oakland VPN for vendors - Extranet
- Oakland VPN for vendors - Extranet
- Connection Issues
- How to authenticate Duo to a new phone
Oakland University provides an extranet service to it's vendors at https://extranet.oakland.edu. The extranet is a VPN service and vendors are assigned an IP or an IP range which has access to specific resources.
- Credentials for authentication are differnet from any other account a user may have been issued.
If you wish to have access to extranet.oakland.edu or your provided credentials do not work, please do either of the following.
Work with your contact at Oakland University to complete the VPN Access Request form available at https://forms.oakland.edu.
Request that your Oakland University Contact submit a ticket by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
DUO takes the form of a phone application that will allow you to receive notifications upon any request to log into extranet.oakland.edu using your credentials.
- Included in this guide, are the steps to configure DUO along with the initial connection to the extranet.
Instructions to log into Extranet
Go to Oakland University's extranet login site, https://extranet.oakland.edu and sign in using your provided credentials.
NOTE: This is a unique credential. In most cases the username is your email account for your company including the @company.com
- NOTE: If this is your first time logging in, you will be prompted to change your password. This will be your password going forward and you will periodically be prompted to change this password.
Configure DUO if you have not already done so. If you have not installed DUO on your phone, please see the instructions at the end of this page.
- You will be prompted with an initial page to start the DUO configuration process. The next page will be asking you to select what kind of device you will be using.
- Provide the phone number of the device including the area code.
- Select the type of mobile device you are using.
Open your DUO app on your phone and hit "add account". Then point your phone at the barcode on your screen to scan.
Verify your configurations and select how you would like to authenticate, the most common is choice is "Automatically send this device a Duo Push".
Select "Continue to login". This is where you will be asked which type of notification you would prefer.
"Send Me a Push" you will receive a notification on your DUO Mobile Application installed in your device, then you have to open the application to approve the connection.
"Call Me" will call the number you attatched to your account.
"Enter a Passcode" will send a text message with a code to the phone number that you used to set up. You will then proceed to type the code into the screen.
- "This concludes the initial configuration of DUO"
- After you login with your credentials, your DUO device will receive a login request notification and you can either allow or deny.
After allowing the VPN access from your phone, you will be logged in to the "Pulse Connect Secure page".
- From this menu you access your preferences, shares, and terminal sessions.
You also need to start the "Pulse Application Session".
You should now be logged into extranet.oakland.edu.
Windows & Mac Connecting to VPN Screen
Open up one of the following browsers: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Safari (OS X only). Type into the address bar the following URL https://extranet.oakland.edu. You will be brought to the main login screen for the VPN system. Enter in your username and password then click on the Sign In button. If this is your first time connecting to the VPN after clicking "Sign in" you will need to download the Pulse Secure application and a few components on your computer to ensure that the connection to Oakland University is encrypted and secure. You will only need to download and install these components your first time accessing the VPN. Pulse Secure will automatically attempt to find the needed program and after 60 seconds it will prompt you to intall the program or try again. You can just click "Download" to avoid the 60 seconds delay.
NOTE: After the initial enrollment, you have you have the option to connect either by using extranet.oakland.edu or by using the Pulse Security client. You may ignore steps for "configuring DUO" if you have already done so.
For Mac user you will be prompted to type the "User Name" and "Password" for the account that you login into your computer.
On the next page, you will need to download the Pulse Secure application and a few components on your computer to ensure that the connections between your computer and Oakland University is encrypted and secure. You will only have to download and install this application your first time accessing the VPN. Pulse Secure will attempt to find the needed program. After 60 seconds, Pulse Secure will prompt you to install the program or try again. Since we know we don't have Pulse Secure installed on our computer, we can just click "Download."
Windows & Mac Application Launcher Screen
- Launch the installation program from your downloads folder and then run the installation process.
After completion of installation, continue with the process by either refreshing the page or selecting the link on the page labeled "Here"
Windows Installation Screen
Mac Installation Screen
- The .dmg will be downloaded and you may be prompted to run the image or Pulse Secure will install it automatically. This is depending if you had a previous updated version.
This time, since you have locally installed the Pulse Secure program, you will be prompted to allow the launch "Pulse Secure Application"
Windows External Protocol Request Screen
NOTE: Mac External Protocol Request Screen (will be similar on other supported browsers)
- You will then be prompted with multiple "security warnings", which you must allow to continue. These security warnings spawn from the Pulse Secure program to make sure you wish to connect with Oakland's VPN. You will be prompted with the same warnings every time you connect to Oakand's VPN unless you answer with the "always" answer.
Windows Security Warning Screen
For Mac Security Warning Screen you may be prompted depending if you have selected "Always" allow Pulse secure
- You should now have successfully connected to Oakland University's VPN. You do not need to leave this page open for the session to remain open.
Windows & Mac Connected to Oakland University's VPN Screen
- To be sure you have download the Pulse Secure Application and components you will the below icon on the left hand side of the Task bar.
For Mac users, you will see the following icon
- For future connections you can drag and drop the "Pulse Secure" Application to the dock. For further instructions please see the "Reconnecting" section.
Connection to VPN using the Pulse Client from a Computer
After the initial enrollment, you have the option to connect either by using extranet.oakland.edu or by using the Pulse Security client.
To connect using extranent.oakland.edu, please follow the instructions logging in to extrannet
- NOTE: Ignore steps for "configuring DUO" if you have already done so.
- The bellow instructions are for connection using the Pulse Client
- Open the Pulse Security client and select the connection you want join
- Type in your credentials
- The "secondary password" works as a keyword to select how you would like the DUO notification.
- "push": Authenticate via the DUO phone notification
- "phone": Authenticate via phone callback
- "sms": Passcodes will be texted to you, of which you will use to login in
For more information, see the follow link.
- You will then received a DUO notification to allow you into the VPN
Installing DUO Mobile and Pulse Secure on your Mobile Device
Instalation steps are the same for all platforms (Windows, Android, or IOS). However, you will need the app store applicable to your device.
- Find the DUO application on your app store and download/install it to your device
- Launch DUO on the device and "allow DUO to take pictures and record videos."
- Find Pulse Secure on your mobile application store and download/install it on your device.
- Launch Pulse Secure on the device to begin the login process
If you believe that you are connected to the VPN but you are unable to Open a Website accessible only at Oakland University or unable to Remote connect, please verify the following:
- Open the Pulse Secure Application and verify that you have the option to "Disconnect" instead of "Connect"
- Open a command prompt by selecting the "Start" button then on the search box type cmd
- When the command prompt windows opens type "ipconfig /all" (without quotation marks)
- Please be sure that under one of the Ethernet Adapters the "IPv4 Address" is 141.210.5.X (X=a number between 5 and 254), and the DNS Servers are 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11
Send an email to email@example.com , with all the troubleshooting steps, error message, and screenshots.
How to authenticate Duo to a new phone
Refer to the following Duo tutorial on how to add new devices to your account and remove previous registered devices https://guide.duo.com/add-device .
You may also log into "My Settings & Devices" and disable the missing phone authentication. In addition, create a new way to log in using another method.
The following platforms are supported by Pulse as listed in their documentation. You may try other platforms but may vary.
- Windows 10 - Internet Explorer 11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox 45
- Windows 8.1 - Internet Explorer 11, Chrome, Firefox 38
- Windows 8 - Internet Explorer 10, Chrome, Firefox 31
- Windows 7 - Internet Explorer 11, Chrome, Firefox 31
- Windows Vista - Internet Explorer 9, Firefox 24
- Mac OS X 10.11 - Safari 10.00, Safari 9.0
- Mac OS X 10.10 - Safari 8.0, Safari 9.0
- Linux* - CentOS 6.4, Ubuntu 14.04
- Apple IOS - 7.1.x, 7.0, iOS 6.x
- Google Android - 4.4, 4.3, 4.2, 4.1
UTS will provide Linux installer upon request. Please note we are currently unable to provide assistance with installing / troubleshooting the Linux client. For Linux installations please refer to: https://kb.pulsesecure.net/articles/Pulse_Secure_Article/KB40126/
- Be aware that the DUO notification can be turned off in phone preferences either on purpose or by accident. If you do not receive the notification briefly after "pushing" the notification, open the DUO app on your phone an check to see if you have a "request waiting."
- Make sure you are using the correct credentials. The correct credentials will be provided by the university. The Username will remain the same, but the password will change after the first log in.
Send an email to your Oakland University contact with all the troubleshooting steps, error message, and screenshots. Or you can email additional questions to firstname.lastname@example.org .