Procedure for Obtaining Banner or ADMNET Access for Unpaid Interns, Student Employees, or Volunteers
Topic: Banner / ADMNET Access for Unpaid Interns, Student Employees, or Volunteers
Creation Date: December 17, 2014
- Unpaid Interns, Student Employees, or other non-employees (Volunteers) may require ADMNET domain access or access to Banner as approved by their supervisor and the Data Steward under policy #860 Information Security.
- All Unpaid Interns, Student Employees, or other non-employees (Volunteers) must have a NetID prior to having an ADMNET or Banner account. Unpaid Interns or other non-employees must obtain a Guest NetID account prior to requesting Banner or ADMNET access.
- Unpaid Interns, Student Employees, or others with primary instructional assignments must be approved in advance by the Office of the Provost.
Volunteers (anyone who is not an employee, an Unpaid Intern or Student Employee) must complete the Volunteer form from the Office of Legal Affairs maintained by the Supervisor. Volunteers must be approved by University Human Resources. If the Volunteer is in an instructional or academic role, approval is also required by the Office of the Provost. This process will result in the person being recorded by either University Human Resources or the Office of the Provost, with the individual being assigned a G#.
- All interns and volunteers will have the same position number NONEMP. This position number already exists in Banner, so there is no need to request it from the Budget Office when an unpaid intern is hired.
- Intern’s supervisor verifies that the intern has a G#. If the intern does not have a G# because they are not a former or current student or employee, contact the Assistant VP Student Affairs – Admissions or designee at x3364 to arrange for the intern to be admitted as a post-bachelors (if a graduate student) or a guest student (if an undergraduate student), which will generate a G# and NetID. The intern will have to complete an Admissions application, but will be admitted under admissions office standards. The intern must include their SSN on the Admissions application in order to connect them to the NONEMP position in Banner.
- Intern’s supervisor contacts the Coordinator Personnel Records, University Human Resources at extension x3482 to request the intern be entered in Banner in a position number NONEMP. Include the intern’s name, G#, and organization number when submitting the request.
- Student employees have a GrizzlyID and a position number assigned in Banner.
The supervisor of the student employee or unpaid intern review the form Oakland University Student Employee and Student Intern Confidentiality Agreement. This form can be found on the Legal Affairs website at http://www.oakland.edu/legalforms. The student employee, intern or other unpaid non-employee must sign the form, and the supervisor will maintain the signed copy of the form in their personnel file.
Complete and submit the following UTS forms (found on the UTS website at https://forms.oakland.edu/default.aspx):
- ADMNET Account Request (required to obtain Internet Native Banner access or access to other select systems)
- Banner Request Forms specific to the intern’s position or student employee's position
Attach a copy of the form Oakland University Student Employee and Student Intern Confidentiality Agreement to the Access Request.
NOTE: If the intern is performing academic advising-related duties, the following access may be needed:
Banner – Student Access Request
- Banner – Relationship Manager Access
- Student Banner module / Adviser role
- Once approved and processed, the individual and requesting department, will receive an email indicating the password can be picked-up.
UTS Internal Documentation for Account Access for Unpaid Interns
Unpaid interns or Volunteers (those with an unpaid status) are not employees and therefore do not have a payroll record in Banner. Paid interns and student employees will have standard jobs, and for all UTS purposes, are handled as standard employees, but with all documentation submitted with the request forms. This process describes how to process records and access accounts for unpaid interns or volunteers.
UTS will be notified about an unpaid intern or volunteer by receiving the request forms for ADMNET and for Banner.
When UTS receives these ticket requests, the Database Administration team will handle access for ADMNET and Banner. Verification will show that the unpaid intern has a job on NBAJOBS with a position of NONEMP and student record on SGASTDN. Check LDAP for valid NetID. Standard Banner authorization processing is done. Incomplete forms or missing LDAP records indicate a recording issue and the request is returned to the supervisor.
Preparing for Unpaid Intern Termination:
The supervisor will send notification of termination to firstname.lastname@example.org immediately upon notification. This is assigned as a normal “termination” and follows the standard UTS employee termination process.
Additional default account information is documented here: http://www.oakland.edu/upload/docs/uts/uts_banner_termination_process.pdf
- The Database Administration Team will run an audit report listing unpaid interns with a position number of NONEMP and verify that any access over 90 days old is still required. This may involve contacting the supervisor.