Oakland University

Degree Works FAQs for Students

What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is an online auditing tool which produces an easy to read academic evaluation to help students and advisers monitor progress toward degree completion. The web based program reorganizes your transcript categorically, easily identifying courses you have completed and what courses remain to fulfill your degree requirements at Oakland University.

Which students can use Degree Works?

Currently, Degree Works is available to all degree-seeking undergraduate students who have catalog years (Programs of Study) from 2011-2012 to present. It will be available for graduate students using the 2015-2017 catalog.

What are the benefits of using Degree Works?

Degree Works will help you:

  • Determine what requirements you need to fulfill in order to complete your degree.
  • View individual course grades, cumulative grade‐point average (GPA), and major average.
  • Determine which courses you have taken or transferred, and which ones count as electives.
  • View transfer credits, waivers, and exemptions applied toward degree.
  • See how your coursework could be applied toward another major, minor, or concentration using the What If option.
  • Estimate how many semesters it will take you to graduate.
  • Learn the pre-requisites and co‐requisites for courses by clicking on the course numbers.

Who should I contact if I still have questions?

Questions regarding the degree evaluation or student planner: Contact your academic adviser: https://www.oakland.edu/advising/findmyadviser/ .

If you are having technical issues, contact the UTS Help Desk: (248) 370-4357 or email [email protected] .



What if the major or minor is listed incorrectly or if the minor is not listed?

Degree Works displays the major/minor on record for the student. To make changes or declare a major, students must submit a change of major to their appropriate advising office.

How current will my information be in Degree Works?

The information in Degree Works is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (i.e., grade changes, major changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in Degree Works tomorrow.

What do I do if I believe my academic information is incorrect?

You should consult your academic adviser for a review of your audit.

I repeated a course and I don’t understand how it appears on the degree audit. Can you explain this to me?

If you successfully repeat a course, only your last attempt counts toward degree requirements. The earlier attempt(s) will be placed in an “Insufficient” category at the bottom of your audit. The courses in this area do not count toward your total hours, and they cannot be used to fulfill requirements.

Is Degree Works my official degree audit?

This degree audit report is a tool or guide that you may use for assessing your progress toward your degree and for planning your future coursework. Although we try to assure that the information in the degree audit report is accurate, it is not an official transcript of your academic record and it is not an official notification of completion of degree or certificate requirements. You should contact the Registrar's Office for your official degree/certificate conferral status or to obtain a copy of your academic transcript. If you need assistance in interpreting this report, please contact your academic adviser. Meeting graduation requirements is the student's responsibility.

My degree progress bar says that I’m 90% complete, but I’m only a sophomore. What’s wrong?

The degree progress bar is a tool that takes the total number of checkboxes on your audit and calculates a percentage based on the number of boxes that are checked. Therefore, if you’re a pre‐major or are missing a major concentration emphasis area, you may have fewer boxes on your audit that need to be checked. As this information is added to your audit, your degree progress bar will reflect your progress more accurately.

Everything on my worksheet is checked, but the degree progress bar only says that I’m 98% done. What’s wrong?

The degree progress bar will not show 100% completion until you finish all of your in‐progress courses and earn acceptable grades in them.

I’m getting two degrees (a BFA and a BA, a BA and BS, etc). Only one appears on the worksheet. How can I check the requirements for my other program of study?

Look at the degree information next to your name at the top of the screen. You'll notice that the degree box has a drop‐down arrow. Use this to select your second program.

I’ve seen the @ symbol in several places on my worksheet. What does this mean?

This is a wildcard in Degree Works. If the @ sign appears with course numbers after it (i.e., @ 4000), it means that you can take a 4000 level course from any subject area. If it appears after a subject rubric (i.e., PSY @), it means that you can take any Psychology course. In the general education requirement block you may see this for example: “3 Credits in @ @ with Attribute WCIV”, the corresponding description on the left side of the audit will read: “Western Civilization”. Select the link behind the @ symbol to see future course offerings. Here is the list of general education attributes and what they stand for:

  • FR: Formal Reasoning
  • ART: Arts
  • FL: Foreign Language and Culture
  • GP: Global Perspective
  • LIT: Literature
  • NSTN: Natural Science and Technology
  • NSTL: Natural Science and Technology - Lecture
  • NSTB: Natural Science and Technology – Lab
  • SS: Social Science
  • WCIV: Western Civilization
  • KA: Knowledge Applications
  • CAP: Capstone
  • DIV: US Diversity

Do I automatically graduate if everything is checked off?

No. To graduate, you must submit an application for graduation. The Registrar’s Office will verify all degree requirements and if successfully completed your degree will be posted.

What is the “What If”?

The What If is a Degree Works feature that allows a student to select a program that they might be interested in pursuing to see how their completed and registered coursework would fulfill the requirements for that possible program.

Why are some of my classes in “General Electives” (below my audit requirements)?

Courses that meet the minimum grade requirement for your degree but are not part of your current program will appear in General Electives. If you decide to pursue a different degree, these courses may apply to those new requirements. Courses in General Electives ARE included in your GPA calculation.

Why are some of my classes in “Insufficient”?

Failed courses, repeated (non-repeatable) courses and courses listed as Withdrawals (W) will appear in the insufficient list. Courses in this section that have a grade associated with them ARE included in your GPA calculation.

Oakland University allows up to 62 credits (generally) to transfer from a community college. When a student’s transfer credits exceed this limit, the excess transfer credit will appear below the audit in the “Insufficient” block with a grade of NA. These credits were evaluated by the Office of the Registrar to determine which, if any, meet the requirements of your OU program. If you feel that you have transfer work which could apply to your degree but is currently appearing in “Insufficient”, please contact your adviser. Transfer credits are NOT counted in your GPA calculation.

My adviser/instructor told me that a class would work to meet a requirement, but Degree Works is not pulling it into that area. What do I do?

In order for students to graduate from Oakland University, they must meet the requirements of their major program as stated in their respective catalog. If an adviser or instructor tells a student that a particular course would work instead of what is written in the catalog, the student needs to work with their department to make sure any necessary petitions have been submitted and approved. Students should utilize their Degree Works audit to verify that all of their requirements are complete and to track any petition of exceptions. If a petition is not noted in Degree Works, it may hold up your graduation when the Registrar’s Office completes the final audit.



What is the Student Planner feature?

The Student Planner is a tool which allows you to arrange course requirements into future semester blocks. You and your adviser may find this helpful as you forecast your academic career. It is recommended that you create an active plan and keep it up‐to‐date, as this information may be used by university administrators to determine demand for various courses in future terms.

Will putting courses in my planner change the way my audit looks?

Nothing entered on the Planner will affect your actual audit. You can, however, see how the courses you have entered in your planner will apply in your audit by checking the boxes next to the semester blocks that you wish to include (check all of the boxes to see how your audit will look if you complete your entire plan) and then click on Run a New Audit. In the audit on the left‐ hand side of the screen, you will see how the planned courses are applied to the various major/minor/concentration requirements.

Will my plans be saved?

Yes. Degree Works will allow you to save all plans you create; however, only one plan may be marked as active.

What does an “Active Plan” mean?

An “active plan” is the plan that you expect to follow. This plan is what your adviser and you will use when you have your advising appointment. You will be able to create plans on your own, but only one plan is active. Your active plan will be locked and only your adviser can make changes.

Will my adviser be able to see my plan(s)?

Yes. Your adviser can see your plan(s) and participate with you in the planning process. There is a Notes feature, as well, for your adviser to keep additional information. Only one plan at a time may be kept as an active plan. Your adviser will lock the plan that you expect to follow as your active plan and only your adviser can make changes. We recommend you review your plan with your adviser before registering every semester.

If I put a course in my planner, am I automatically registered for that course in that future semester?

No. Your planner is for planning purposes only. Registration is a separate process.

Is the course I planned guaranteed for that future semester?

No. Your planner is for planning purposes only. Please see the appropriate schedule of classes for availability of courses. If you discover that a course you had planned is not being offered, please contact your adviser.

Do I put courses that I’ve already completed on the Planner?

No. The Planner is only intended for future classes, not classes which you’ve completed or in which you’re currently enrolled.



What is the GPA Calculator?

There are three different GPA calculators in Degree Works. The Graduation Calculator and Advice Calculator help you determine how to reach a desired GPA. The Term Calculator helps you predict what your GPA will be for the current semester based on the grades you think you will earn in each class.

Please note that the GPA is computed only on the basis of coursework taken at Oakland University. Also some grades, such as “S” (Satisfactory), “U” (Unsatisfactory) and “P” (Pass), are not counted in the GPA. It is important that you read the instructions on each GPA calculator carefully to be sure you are entering the credits that will actually count in your GPA; if repeats for a grade replacement are involved, we recommend that you check your results with an adviser.