Network Access FAQ
Why am I being asked to register my computer?
- The network registration system, also known as the Campus Manager, is needed to regulate limited resources and to comply with legal requirements, such as the Digital Millennia Copyright Act and the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act. The registration associates an Oakland University constituent (faculty, student, staff) with a computer.
How often will I have to register?
- Registration will take place an average of only once per semester, or when necessary to insure the stability and availability of network systems.
How do I register?
When turning on an unregistered computer for the first time, open a web browser to follow the registration instructions. The system is configured to automatically forward to the registration site, so it should not be necessary to type in any web address. In the event that you are not automatically directed to this site, please point your browser to https://netreg.oakland.edu (https://resnetreg.oakland.edu for Residence Halls).
What do I need to register?
- You will need a NetID (OUCA) username and password.
Who do I call if after registering I am still unable to gain access to the network?
- Please contact the Helpdesk at x4357 who will help resolve the issue.
Does this system monitor what I am doing on the network?
- No, the Campus Manger system does not monitor any traffic. Once registration is complete, there is no interaction between your computer and the Campus Manager system.
Will this slow down my computer or the network?
- No, the Campus Manger system will not impact network or system performance. The registration process averages 45-90 seconds to process. Once registration is complete, there is no interaction between the client and the Campus Manager system.
Does this impact RESnet as well?
- Yes, RESnet has been transitioned to Campus Manager. There are some variations to the registration process that accommodate the difference between residential use and business and academic computer use. Please contact the RESnet helpdesk for any additional details or with additional questions concerning Campus Manager on RESnet.
How will this impact any hubs or switches I have?
- Desktop hubs and switches are not permitted on the Oakland University network per University Policy #850. The Campus Manager system will not work properly with these devices.
For further help, please email Helpdesk AT Oakland DOT edu, visit us at 202 Kresge Library or call (248)370-4357 Monday-Friday, 8 am - 5 pm.