Last updated: 8 February 2012
How To Install and Run SQL*Plus
SQL*Plus is a command line environment where you can run SQL queries.
If you have the Oracle client software for Banner already installed on your machine, you have SQL*Plus. Otherwise, you will need to install the Oracle client software.
New Oracle client installation
If you do not have an Oracle client installed on your computer, you will need one if you want to access SQL*Plus. Refer to the document BannerClientInstallation, then continue with the following steps.
Oracle client already installed
If you have an Oracle client on your computer, an icon for SQL*Plus is already installed. Click on the Start button, then select All Programs. In the list that is displayed, look for the folder where your Oracle client software is installed. It should be named "Oracle Instant Client 11g" or "Oracle - OraClient10g_home1"; if it is not, you should update your Oracle client software using the BannerClientInstallation document. Then continue with the following steps.
You will find a shortcut to SQL*Plus in the folder you just opened (if you are using the Oracle 11g Instant Client) or in the "Application Development" subfolder of the folder you just opened (if you are using the Oracle 10g Client). To start SQL*Plus, you may double-click the SQL*Plus shortcut there. If you wish to place the icon on your desktop, you may right-click on the icon and select "Send To" from the menu, then in the submenu that opens up, select "Desktop (create shortcut)". If you wish to place the icon somewhere else, you may right-click on the icon and select "Copy", then go to the location where you want to copy the icon, right-click there, and select "Paste" or "Paste shortcut" (since you are copying a shortcut, you may use either one).
Perform the following steps:
- Open the SQL*Plus program by double-clicking its icon. If you did not copy the icon to your desktop, see the instructions above for help in locating the icon.
- Login to SQL*Plus, as follows:
- If SQL*Plus opens with a graphical user interface, you will be prompted with a login screen that asks for your username, password, and database host string. Type in your BANNER login for the User Name field, your BANNER password for the Password field, and the database name for the Host String field. Click OK to continue.
- If SQL*Plus opens with a character mode user interface, you will be prompted for your username. Type in your BANNER login followed by the "@" character followed by the database ID (e.g. "PROD" or "TEST"), then press Enter. You will then be prompted for your password; type it in (it will not be displayed) and press Enter.
- If you are prompted to change an expired password, do so.
- You should now be logged in and able to perform SQL queries.